Dude, Where's My Muse?

Friday, September 08, 2006

Voice

Question for the writers out there, when querying, do you compare your voice or your manuscript to another writer? I haven't done that before, but some people (including a recent workshop) recommended doing that. Which is where my lack of broad reading comes in, because who the heck do I sound like lol So if you have an answer to any one of these, do post in the comments and let me know :)
And thanks to all who voted at contest junkies. Both my entries are done now, so if you missed them, you can still go take a read of 'Vegas Whisperer' and 'Something To Talk About'
posted by Lis at 11:47 p.m.

4 Comments:

Lis, I loved both of the entries! As for the comparing your book to others in the query, I honestly don't do that, so no advice here, sorry!

Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:46:00 p.m.  

Can't help you there, Lis -- I've never written a query letter in my life! :O :) Looking forward to the culmination of RJ. Good luck! x

Monday, September 11, 2006 2:35:00 a.m.  

I've never compared my voice to anyone else's--personally I figure my voice is mine, so why do that? But I know it works for some people. I wouldn't stress about it, because it's not necessary.

I have, a couple of times, compared my story to others, for example "the dark humour of Six Feet Under matched with the modern, first-person feel of Sex And The City". Which may be easier for you to come up with. But that's not necessary either.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:47:00 a.m.  

Thanks Olga and Jess, best of luck to both of you in the RJ contest :)

Thanks Julie :) That makes sense, will have to try that with the next wip which I can easily compare to Buffy and Angel *g*
But for now, I won't stress about trying to do that for Sab's query

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:45:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home